Mumbai: More than two days of terror
“Mumbai has been gripped by fear as terrorists fanned out through its colonial heart in a well-planned assault, killing more than 150 people and taking hostages at two hotels and a Jewish center.”
For more than two days, terrorists attacked the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, Oberoi Hotel, and the Nariman House as well as many other locations around Mumbai during the initial round of attacks on Wednesday night. Armed terrorists sparked approximately three days of battles with police and Indian troops in the heart of the city, which was the hub of India’s financial and entertainment industries. The only suspected attacker to survive was photographed at the train station holding what appeared to be an assault rifle and is now in police custody. It has been reported that Indian forces killed the nine other attackers.
Through a GPS found with the attackers showed that they had come from Pakistan. It’s also been noted that the terrorists were targeting specifically American and British people. India is calling on Pakistan’s government to hand over a group of wanted militant leaders suspected of plotting the Mumbai attacks. However, Pakistan says that Indian officials have yet to bring forth evidence regarding the massacre and when they do they will provide “full cooperation” with the Indian government.
In addition, the Indian people are experiencing an influx of anger regarding the perceived lax of security in Mumbai before the attacks, especially since there were reports that the government in New Delhi had been warned about the potential attacks by U.S. officials on two occasions. However, a chairman at one of the hotels said that “extra security measure would not have stopped the attackers from entering the building because they went through a kitchen door that was not monitored by a metal detector.” Regardless, this has been an absolutely devastating attack for the people of Mumbai as well as many others.
Marked as favorite (0)